Huge cliff fall at Sidmouth
BREAKING NEWS: There has been a huge cliff fall off Sidmouth s Eastern beach this afternoon.
BREAKING NEWS: There has been a huge cliff fall off Sidmouth's Eastern beach this afternoon.
Tonnes of red sandstone dropped on to the beach at around 2pm, followed by two smaller falls within 30 minutes of the first.
Eyewitness John Foxwell, 65, said: "It was like a bomb had gone off. It made a hell of a noise as it came down.
"I was going for a walk and had just got to the seafront when I heard a roar. I thought it was a 'plane. I turned round and the cliff had gone and a huge heap was there.
You may also want to watch:
"It must be hundreds of tonnes, you can see the gouge, like someone has cut a piece out of the hill," said Somerset-born Mr Foxwell.
"What I saw first was a wave going out to sea.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman