Huge queues and a record-breaking day as tickets go on sale for Sidmouth’s Summer Play Festival
- Credit: Archant
More than 250 residents heard all about this year’s Sidmouth Summer Play Festival at the Manor Pavilion Theatre - before fans formed huge queues on a record-breaking day of ticket sales.
The launch event, on Thursday, May 24, was an opportunity for people to learn more about the 12 plays on offer this year, meet the producers and have a chat to some of the actors.
Graham Whitlock, manager of the Manor Pavilion Theatre, was thrilled with the turnout and said: “We had more people attend the launch night than ever before and the atmosphere was wonderful. The play festival has been hotly anticipated by the residents of Sidmouth and they were all keen to know more about the season and to hear from the producers. The line-up of plays this year is really strong, with something for everyone, and I am looking forward to another successful summer of theatre here at the Manor Pavilion.”
The success of the launch was very much in evidence the next morning, when residents were seen queuing for tickets from 7.45am. The season box office opened at 10am and the theatre had another record-breaking day of sales.
Paul Taylor Mills, the lead producer, was delighted and said: “The loyalty and enthusiasm of the Sidmouth residents is a constant surprise and I am delighted that they are responding so positively to our efforts. We are committed to providing a quality season of plays and to continue the wonderful tradition of rep theatre in Sidmouth. We are reaching more people than ever before and there is a real buzz about the festival this year. Long may it continue.”
You may also want to watch:
The season starts on Thursday, June 21, with the tense thriller Fatal Encounter by Francis Durbridge.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Lockdown has shown the importance of nature and the need for us to nurture each other
- 9 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98