My role is to listen, says Ottery’s first female mayor
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary’s first female mayor says the most important part of her role is to listen to local people and be a spokesperson for the town.
Cllr Vicky Johns was elected mayor on Monday, June 1, having served as a town and district councillor since May 2019.
Cllr Johns said: “Since I’ve been a town councillor I have found it to be a very demanding role but the most important part, as far as I am concerned, is listening to the people that you represent.
“As councillors, we are not at the top, but at the base, helping to lift those that we represent and ensuring that their voices are heard.”
She said many people had been feeling that local issues were being ignored, and she wants to do her ‘absolute best’ to represent the community.
You may also want to watch:
She has also paid tribute to ‘the united team’ of councillors and officers at Ottery Town Council, and thanked Ottery residents for their response to the Covid-19 crisis, ‘pulling together and showing what community means during these difficult and unprecedented times’.
- 1 Making the most of our daily walks by the sea
- 2 Sidmouth musician to host 24hr virtual open mic for cancer charity
- 3 Diamonds are forever - Devon Communities Together launches 60th anniversary campaign
- 4 Speed limit trial will pave the way for safer Devon roads
- 5 Boohoo’s purchase of Arcadia group brands could provide a massive benefit for the High Street
- 6 Sidmouth Cricket Club building new partnerships
- 7 If you want something sorted then you better call Sal
- 8 Young people welcome to ‘Youthie’ on Zoom
- 9 It will be good to see Sidmouth town centre 'bustling again'
- 10 Business employment charity needs helping boost to continue