‘I’m running 50 marathons before I’m 50’
- Credit: Archant
A Tipton St John runner has to tackle 12 marathons in as many months if she is to hit her target of 50 before she is 50.
Jo Earlam has already completed races in France, Barcelona, Rome and New York, all to raise money for dementia charity BRACE.
It became a cause close to her heart after seeing firsthand the effect the illness had on her father and her family – and she is not just limiting herself to regular marathons.
Coming up in June is an ultra-marathon, The Wall, a 69-mile multi-terrain race in Hadrian’s Wall country between Carlisle Castle and Newcastle Gateshead Quayside.
Jo, a runner, blogger and one-time Herald reporter, said: “I’m really looking forward to The Wall event, as it’s a part of the country I don’t know at all and a great individual challenge to include within my overall goal – and, of course, it ticks off two marathons in two days!
You may also want to watch:
“I’m doing it as a solo runner, which is something I would have found daunting a few years ago, but running has given me more confidence to just get out there and go for it.”
Jo ran her first marathon the year she turned 40.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
Running and fundraising helps her stay positive as her father’s condition worsens.
To help Jo reach her £4,000 target, visit www.justgiving.com/Jo-EarlamBRACE.