Ice cream shop tastes success
A SIDMOUTH ice cream parlour and coffee shop has scooped three regional awards.
A Taste of Sidmouth, in Market Place, gained gold for its mango yogurt and Ferrero Rocher ice creams, and silver for its vanilla in the 2010 Taste of the West Awards.
The awards, established 17 years ago, celebrate the best of the region’s food and drink producers and retailers, and its hospitality industry. They cover 16 food and drink categories, divided into 23 classes, alongside four hospitality and two retail classes. The Sidmouth shop was the only entrant to get gold in the ice cream category.
Laura Bennett, 32, launched the business with her sister, Hazel Jones, 34, in February 2008. Since then, they have picked up national Ice Cream Alliance diplomas for their Christmas pudding; vanilla; chocolate and mango sorbet flavours, but this is their first Taste of the West recognition.
Laura said: “We are interested in being a good, local producer so joined Taste of the West at the beginning of the year to get involved, as a mark of quality.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re very pleased to have won these awards, it’s almost better than the national ones because Taste of the West is so well thought of.”
The gold award winners are best sellers in the shop which has 16 ice cream varieties on sale at any one time. They are produced in the shop daily, using luxury Italian flavourings and Devon cream.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
Laura said: “As a small, family-owned business, we’re delighted to get this recognition.”