Ill pets spark pesticide fears at park
- Credit: Archant
FEARS that substances used in the upkeep of Blackmore Gardens could be harmful to pets have been played down by its council guardians – after a dog owner’s pedigree chums were taken ill after a walk.
Chrissy Witty, 60, expressed pesticide worries for other canines and children after her prized Shi Tzus began vomiting violently following their daily outing at the leafy town centre spot.
Chrissy, of Coburg Road, said the dogs were sick for 48 hours in the exact same manner - at the same time - a year earlier.
She added that her pets feeling poorly coincided with her spotting workers – some in face masks and protective suits – working at Blackmore Gardens and the nearby bowling club.
“I play ball with my dogs every day there. I’m not a complainer – but this was too much of a coincidence,” said Chrissy.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for East Devon District Council (EDDC), which looks after the park, said that staff use products that are known to be safe for children and animals.
He added that a granular product being spread at Blackmore Gardens on the occasion in question was an organic fertiliser that had never previously caused harm or complaint.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
The spokesman added this task would not have required protective clothing, but the same staff would have donned protective garments for a separate job spraying insecticide at the bowling club – which is closed to the public and dogs.
The spokesman said the product used there is non-toxic and approved for use in horticulture.
He added that the spreading of the fertiliser in the gardens was followed by a period of rain and a dog could have picked up some grains on a ball.
However, he added that an animal would have to ingest around 1.38kg for it to become hazardous.
The spokesman added that the insecticide used at the bowling club is ‘more hazardous’, but no animals should come into contact with it.
He added: “If we receive evidence to suggest we should review the granular product being used in the gardens, we will look into the matter with urgency and thoroughness.”
Chrissy said her dogs have since recovered and praised the ‘most fantastic job’ workers do in Blackmore Gardens and their response to her predicament.