Illegal worker at Beer restaurant
AN illegal worker from Bangladesh is awaiting deportation after he was arrested at a restaurant in Beer.
The man was found working in the kitchen of the Spice Merchant in Fore Street during a UK Border Agency raid on August 17. After immigration checks were carried out on staff, he was found to have stayed in the UK illegally after his visa expired. He was arrested and taken to Exeter’s Heavitree police station, then transferred to immigration detention.
The restaurant was given a warning that employers face a �10,000 fine unless proof is provided that the correct pre-employment checks were carried out on the employee.
The raid was the second intelligence-led visit to the Spice Merchant in two months. On July 2, all five members of staff on duty were found to be illegal workers and arrested. Four Bangladeshi men remain in immigration detention pending their removal while a fifth is having an outstanding immigration application considered. If he is found to have no legal right to remain in the UK, he will be deported.
The agency is considering whether the Spice Merchant will receive a fine of up to �50,000 for employing the first five illegal workers.
You may also want to watch:
The agency’s South West director Jane Farleigh said: “Any employer who takes on a foreign national without permission to work in the UK is undermining law-abiding businesses and faces a big fine.”
Employers seeking advice can visit www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/advice-for-employers or call 0300 123 4699. Anyone who suspects illegal workers are being employed can call 01752 275161 or visit www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/report-immigration-crime.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC