Ingenuity of Ottery Scout earns him prize in national competition
- Credit: Archant
Aidan’s design for world famous knife captured judges’ imagination
The ingenuity of an Ottery scout earned him top placing in a national competition to redesign the world famous Swiss Army Knife.
Aidan Pearcy decided to pit his wits against others across the country in a contest run by Victorinox - the makers of the internationally renowned multi-use tool – and was awarded third prize for his efforts.
The Ottery Scout group member invented a design that incorporated an emergency whistle for use by hikers, campers and outdoor enthusiasts and could now see his idea be made into a reality.
The implement is already famous for its array of tools and utensils – including scissors, saws, cork screws and even USB sticks – Victorinox decided to seek inspiration from scouts for a new accessory to add.
You may also want to watch:
Scout Leader Chris Evans said: “I was contacted just before Christmas by Victorinox.
“They said that they were so overwhelmed with great ideas from the scouts across the UK that they had decided to offer second and third place prizes, as well as a prize for the overall winner.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 6 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 7 Football in support of mental health
- 8 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 9 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
“They then told me that Aidan had been awarded third prize for his whistle design idea and I was absolutely delighted. To come third in a national competition like that is fantastic.”
Aidan’s reward is a Swiss Army Knife with his name engraved on the side and the satisfaction of knowing that one day his emergency whistle may be incorporated into the famous multi-tool.
Any young people wishing to join the scouts, or adults who would like to consider volunteering can visit the Ottery St Mary Scouts website: www.otteryscouts.org.uk or Facebook page: www.facebook.com/otteryscouts.