Ivy sparks fire on Beer electricity pole
Fire crews were called to Beer after an electricity pole caught fire – causing 10 people to be without power for almost six hours. Firefighters from Sidmouth and Seaton were called to Fore Street shortly before 4.30pm to protect the surrounding area,
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “The fire service was called to reports of an electrical pylon which was on fire, behind a property in Fore Street, Beer.
“Upon arrival crews confirmed this to be fire involving electric telegraph pole, crews got to work to protect the surrounding area and maintaining a safe distance.”
Herald Reader Stephen Lee captured this picture of the fire behind the Mariners Hall in Beer last Thursday afternoon.
Mr Lee said it seemed to be at the top of an electricity pole, with some of the foliage nearby also on fire.
You may also want to watch:
Western Power were called and took over the scene from crews.
A Western Power spokeswoman said the pole was covered in ivy and caught fire after a spark burnt the poles conductor.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
She added: “In this case the pole was covered with ivy and that caused the fire. 10 people were off from 5.25pm and back on by 11.15pm.”