Joan, 96, one of UK’s oldest volunteers for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A 96-year-old volunteer from Sidmouth is one of the oldest helpers for Cancer Research UK.
Joan Hall has been giving up her time for the charity since the town’s branch opened in 1987.
Manager Debbie Kerkhof took over at Sidmouth in April and was amazed by Joan’s dedication to the charity.
She said: “She just came in one day and said ‘I am working today’ and she just started getting on with her job.
“Joan is the original volunteer. There are several volunteers like her and every week they are there and they are so reliable.
You may also want to watch:
“You can really tell her commitment to the charity.”
During the 1970s, Joan began volunteering at Imperial Cancer Research, which merged to become Cancer Research UK.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
Joan is usually behind the scenes at the shop, processing new stock, a job she still enjoys doing one day a week.
She said: “I just like helping people, if I can. I suppose some of my family had cancer, so there was a family connection.”
The Salcombe Regis resident was honoured with a long-service pin in January this year, after being with the store for more than 25 years.
Alison Birkett, spokesman for Cancer Research UK, said: “We are so grateful to all our volunteers who dedicate their time to help Cancer Research UK. Many are dedicated volunteers like Joan.
“We do have many men and women in their 70s, 80s and older and it is wonderful to hear that Joan has recently celebrated her 96th birthday and is still as dedicated to the cause as when she first started volunteering.”
The branch is looking for new volunteers. Drop into the shop in Fore Street and pick up a volunteer pack.