Joseph’s business model is web design in Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
An international fashion model has returned to his roots in website design to help Sidmouth businesses stay relevant online.
Joseph MacMillan taught himself the basics of HTML as a teenager, but has a whole raft of new skills to offer, from digital marketing to building apps.
He left brands like Calvin Klein, Topshop and Tommy Hilfiger behind and started Sidmouth Web Design to help businesses update their online presence and instil confidence in their customer bases.
“My first job ever was as a freelance web designer,” said the 27-year-old, who has lived in cities around the world over the last nine years working as a model.
“That was in 2003, when I was 13 years old, after teaching myself the basics of HTML from a book in the library.
You may also want to watch:
“A lot has changed since then, and the internet has grown and evolved into something more dynamic and interactive.”
After breaking out of freelance web design, Joseph moved to FTSE 100 builders merchant Travis Perkins. There, he helped to develop a website on which the firm’s customers were projected to purchase £1billion of materials. Joseph said: “The project was gigantic and involved hundreds of developers and designers. It was an incredible learning experience for me to understand what I needed to do to start up my own business.”
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
The Canadian gave up modelling to live in Fortfield Terrace with his wife Helen, who is from the town and runs Sidmouth Senior Care. The pair met while modelling in the same show at Singapore Fashion Week.
Of living in Sidmouth, Joseph said: “It’s lovely, very safe, and much quieter than Shanghai.”
For Sidmouth Web Design, he has pulled together ‘some very talented individuals’ skilled in web and app development and graphic design, and has personally been working on building social media accounts – racking up tens of thousands of followers. Summing up, he said: “Essentially, I want to ensure that Sidmouth businesses, brands, freelancers, acts and individuals get more customers via the internet, by ensuring they have a relevant and modern website, social media accounts, and an app – if their business model requires one.”