Josh ready to ‘make a difference’ in Cambodia
- Credit: Archant
A university graduate has quit his job to go and help families in a struggling third world country.
Josh Gutierrez, from Sidmouth, will fly to Cambodia next month as part of the International Citizen Service (ICS).
The 21-year-old had been working in the charity sector since leaving university, but left his job to embark on the three-month project.
The politics and international research graduate will be working in a team to raise awareness about health, sanitation and waste management, as well as helping underprivileged communities develop farming techniques.
Josh is looking to raise £800 for Voluntary Services Overseas, a development charity that works with ICS.
You may also want to watch:
The former Sidmouth College pupil will also be teaching sexual health as 50 per cent of the country’s population is under 15 years-of-age.
Josh said: “I quit my job, you realise you are limited by how much you can do here [in the UK], but when you are out there you can do so much more. You learn about the culture and get to know the people.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
“It is part of International Citizen Service (ICS), which brings young people together to fight poverty and make a difference where it is needed most.”
Cambodia is ranked as one of the 50 poorest countries in the world.
A quarter of its population was wiped out during the regime of Pol Pot in the 1970s.
To donate, visit Josh’s Justgiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/Joshua-Gutierrez or by texting donations up to £10 to VSOJ90 and your amount to 70070