Josh ready to ‘make a difference’ in Cambodia
- Credit: Archant
A university graduate has quit his job to go and help families in a struggling third world country.
Josh Gutierrez, from Sidmouth, will fly to Cambodia next month as part of the International Citizen Service (ICS).
The 21-year-old had been working in the charity sector since leaving university, but left his job to embark on the three-month project.
The politics and international research graduate will be working in a team to raise awareness about health, sanitation and waste management, as well as helping underprivileged communities develop farming techniques.
Josh is looking to raise £800 for Voluntary Services Overseas, a development charity that works with ICS.
You may also want to watch:
The former Sidmouth College pupil will also be teaching sexual health as 50 per cent of the country’s population is under 15 years-of-age.
Josh said: “I quit my job, you realise you are limited by how much you can do here [in the UK], but when you are out there you can do so much more. You learn about the culture and get to know the people.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
“It is part of International Citizen Service (ICS), which brings young people together to fight poverty and make a difference where it is needed most.”
Cambodia is ranked as one of the 50 poorest countries in the world.
A quarter of its population was wiped out during the regime of Pol Pot in the 1970s.
To donate, visit Josh’s Justgiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/Joshua-Gutierrez or by texting donations up to £10 to VSOJ90 and your amount to 70070