Joy, 99, celebrates Whimple MU's 80th anniversary
A MEMBER of Whimple Mother s Union for 76 years cut the branch s 80th anniversary cake at this month s celebrations. Three months short of her 100th birthday, Joy Little was helped by branch leader Margaret Burrough.
A MEMBER of Whimple Mother's Union for 76 years cut the branch's 80th anniversary cake at this month's celebrations.
Three months short of her 100th birthday, Joy Little was helped by branch leader Margaret Burrough.
Joy's mother was a founding member of the branch, which began in 1929, and Mrs Burrough spoke of its history during the celebrations held at Whimple village church, which was decorated with flowers in the society's cream and blue colours.
Numbers were boosted to 62 when joined by other MU members in East Devon, some with their banners.
You may also want to watch:
Shirley Peters carried the local banner and Reverend Peter Leverton took the service
Praising the MU's work at home and abroad, he felt members should be more proactive in promoting themselves.
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 3 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 7 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 8 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
Past diocesan president Chloe Brice, was guest speaker, talking about some of the history of the Mothers Union, formed in 1876.
Newest member Heather Owen was enrolled at the service before tea, sandwiches and cakes were served.
Details of its celebrations were sent to Whimple's twin branch, Belmont, Australia.