Joy, 99, celebrates Whimple MU's 80th anniversary
A MEMBER of Whimple Mother s Union for 76 years cut the branch s 80th anniversary cake at this month s celebrations. Three months short of her 100th birthday, Joy Little was helped by branch leader Margaret Burrough.
A MEMBER of Whimple Mother's Union for 76 years cut the branch's 80th anniversary cake at this month's celebrations.
Three months short of her 100th birthday, Joy Little was helped by branch leader Margaret Burrough.
Joy's mother was a founding member of the branch, which began in 1929, and Mrs Burrough spoke of its history during the celebrations held at Whimple village church, which was decorated with flowers in the society's cream and blue colours.
Numbers were boosted to 62 when joined by other MU members in East Devon, some with their banners.
Shirley Peters carried the local banner and Reverend Peter Leverton took the service
Praising the MU's work at home and abroad, he felt members should be more proactive in promoting themselves.
- 1 Delays on Sidmouth road for Devon County Show
- 2 Man in court accused of torching Ottery woman's car
- 3 Help clean up Sidmouth as In Bloom judges' visit approaches
- 4 Play abour real life leaves audience filled with feel good laughter
- 5 Otter Valley councillor welcomes inquiry into sewage discharges into rivers
- 6 Folk Festival gears up to bring Sidmouth to life with music
- 7 Injured pedestrian helped by lifeboat and lifeguard teams
- 8 Part of Donkey Sanctuary closed due to respiratory infection
- 9 Circus proposed for Sidmouth next year
- 10 Pixie Day returns to Ottery – Pictures
Past diocesan president Chloe Brice, was guest speaker, talking about some of the history of the Mothers Union, formed in 1876.
Newest member Heather Owen was enrolled at the service before tea, sandwiches and cakes were served.
Details of its celebrations were sent to Whimple's twin branch, Belmont, Australia.