Jubilee street party offer for Sidmouth and Ottery
HOPES of street parties to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in places like Sidmouth and Ottery St Mary have been handed a boost - by Devon County Council (DCC) offering a free application service.
The authority wants to make it as easy as possible for residents to stage celebrations over the extended bank holiday weekend from June 2 to 5.
Council bosses hope for a similar response that saw scores of colourful festivities when the Royal Wedding took place last year. Anyone planning a street party for the Diamond Jubilee can apply to DCC for a temporary Traffic Regulation Order to close a minor road - free of charge.
Organisers simply have to fill out an application form and a declaration and submit them to DCC.
Especially for the event, the notice period for road closures has been reduced from three months to six weeks, and applications need to be submitted by April 20.
There will be a charge if ‘No Waiting’ cones are needed.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, DCC cabinet member for highways, said: “We want the whole of Devon to unite in celebrating this marvellous occasion with their friends and neighbours, and we’re keen to help everyone have a successful event.
- 1 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 2 Ottery couple celebrate platinum wedding anniversary
- 3 Missing woman may be in Sidmouth
- 4 Time to start preparing for potentially harsh winter
- 5 Commonwealth Games work gives Sidmouth student 'amazing experience' of live TV
- 6 Town council joins protest against Sidmouth bus cuts
- 7 Heatwave may have caused latest Sidmouth cliff falls
- 8 Residents plagued by aggressive rogue traders
- 9 Closure confirmed for Sidmouth retirement home
- 10 Could Devon councils be set for unitary shake up?
“We’ve tried to make it as straight forward as possible for people to apply for a road closure, but all we ask is that people let us know about their event in advance and don’t leave it until the last minute.”
For more information call 0845 1551004, email email@example.com, or visit www.devon.gov.uk/ttrostreetparty to download an application form.