Jubilee street party offer for Sidmouth and Ottery
HOPES of street parties to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in places like Sidmouth and Ottery St Mary have been handed a boost - by Devon County Council (DCC) offering a free application service.
The authority wants to make it as easy as possible for residents to stage celebrations over the extended bank holiday weekend from June 2 to 5.
Council bosses hope for a similar response that saw scores of colourful festivities when the Royal Wedding took place last year. Anyone planning a street party for the Diamond Jubilee can apply to DCC for a temporary Traffic Regulation Order to close a minor road - free of charge.
Organisers simply have to fill out an application form and a declaration and submit them to DCC.
Especially for the event, the notice period for road closures has been reduced from three months to six weeks, and applications need to be submitted by April 20.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a charge if ‘No Waiting’ cones are needed.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, DCC cabinet member for highways, said: “We want the whole of Devon to unite in celebrating this marvellous occasion with their friends and neighbours, and we’re keen to help everyone have a successful event.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 6 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 9 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
“We’ve tried to make it as straight forward as possible for people to apply for a road closure, but all we ask is that people let us know about their event in advance and don’t leave it until the last minute.”
For more information call 0845 1551004, email email@example.com, or visit www.devon.gov.uk/ttrostreetparty to download an application form.