Jubilee street party offer for Sidmouth and Ottery
HOPES of street parties to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in places like Sidmouth and Ottery St Mary have been handed a boost - by Devon County Council (DCC) offering a free application service.
The authority wants to make it as easy as possible for residents to stage celebrations over the extended bank holiday weekend from June 2 to 5.
Council bosses hope for a similar response that saw scores of colourful festivities when the Royal Wedding took place last year. Anyone planning a street party for the Diamond Jubilee can apply to DCC for a temporary Traffic Regulation Order to close a minor road - free of charge.
Organisers simply have to fill out an application form and a declaration and submit them to DCC.
Especially for the event, the notice period for road closures has been reduced from three months to six weeks, and applications need to be submitted by April 20.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a charge if ‘No Waiting’ cones are needed.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, DCC cabinet member for highways, said: “We want the whole of Devon to unite in celebrating this marvellous occasion with their friends and neighbours, and we’re keen to help everyone have a successful event.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
“We’ve tried to make it as straight forward as possible for people to apply for a road closure, but all we ask is that people let us know about their event in advance and don’t leave it until the last minute.”
For more information call 0845 1551004, email email@example.com, or visit www.devon.gov.uk/ttrostreetparty to download an application form.