'It's more important than ever to keep ourselves healthy'
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Having started the new year in another lockdown we may find that our goals have been put on the back burner but it’s more important than ever to keep ourselves healthy, both physically and mentally.
There are some things we can do at home to help ourselves during this lockdown - let's have a look at what these are:
- What you drink! Yes, it might sound simple but this can have a great effect on how you feel. If you are noticing your anxiety levels are rising and you’re not sleeping as well then it might be time to take a look at how many of those cups of coffee you’re having per day, reducing your caffeine intake can help!
Aside from caffeine, alcohol can be an easy go to, especially in lockdown, and the units can easily add up. Not only do we want to avoid becoming dependent on alcohol to help us relax at the end of the day but alcohol such as wine can contribute a significant number of extra calories to your daily intake. Depending on the type of wine, a single glass provides around 115–130 calories. However, drinking multiple glasses can add up.
- The gyms and pools might be shut but it doesn’t mean you can’t keep up with your exercise at home. Every 30 minutes get those steps in with a walk around the garden or a few times up and down the stairs, try a YouTube workout on your TV or if you want a bit more motivation and professional help try an online personal trainer.
- Overeating can be a factor when we are stuck indoors, the snacking in between meals can increase and the ‘treats’ can become more. Try to keep a food diary to keep you on track, it's a great tool I use with my clients. It’s a great way to be more mindful about what we eat, and talking about mindfulness, my next and last point…
- Mindfulness - I really recommend this and it’s something I have been introducing to some of my clients over online sessions. With the uncertainty that surrounds us at the moment and the stress and anxiety that can bring, mindfulness helps to bring us back to the present moment. If anyone is in need of a bit of help during this lockdown I’m offering a free online session to anyone that needs it - firstname.lastname@example.org