Keith Owen Fund supports Sidford WI centenary project
- Credit: Archant
A commemorative banner marking 100 years of WI activity in Sidford has been boosted by a £1,000 grant towards its celebrations.
The Keith Owen Fund [KOF] donated the money towards the group’s centenary anniversary in May next year, which includes a service and open day.
Members have spent the last 18 months crafting 100 patches which represents each year of its formation.
It is known the branch was formed at a vestry meeting in April 1919 and the first president was a Mrs Farrant, with vice-presidents Mrs Lang and Mrs Lund, while Miss Darrell held the post of secretary and the treasurer was Miss Bristowe.
The banner will be framed and will be blessed at a service in Sidford’s church to mark the anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies have until Christmas to finish the remaining 30 pieces which will then be put on long sashes to form the banner, which they can hang on a rail and take with them to events.
Grace Essex, who is among the project leaders, said: “This banner is to proclaim this what the WI does and this is who we are.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
“We couldn’t have done it without them [KOF].”