Kilimanjaro trek beckons for Lily
- Credit: Archant
A former Newton Poppleford Primary School pupil will be climbing to the peak of the world’s largest freestanding mountain to raise money for meningitis sufferers.
Lily Thomas is embarking on a six-day trek up Mount Kilimanjaro, which stands at 5,895 metres, in September.
The 20-year-old is fundraising with the Raise and Give group (RAG) at the University of Warwick.
The second year history student is fast approaching her £2,990 target and hopes to reach her total when she returns home to Newton Poppleford for the Easter holidays.
Lily took to Sidmouth town centre on Saturday and added another £98.40 to her fundraising target.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “On my first collection I was very nervous, but by the time I collected in Birmingham I found my voice.
“You become resilient because you have to accept that people cannot always donate, but you also become more grateful even if someone gives you 10 pence because they have stopped and asked about the charity”.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
RAG chose the Meningitis Research Foundation because of the high risk that students face from the disease.
Lily said: “It was a really hasty decision last October. I saw the poster and I went to the meeting that day, but you had to make the decision the next day. I called my parents and said ‘this is crazy but can I do it’ - and they were really supportive.”
“I am currently working really hard to improve my fitness levels through doing loads of aerobics classes and swimming daily. I am more worried about altitude sickness though! I am so excited for this adventure and to help such a worthwhile cause.”
To donate to Lily’s cause. visit her JustGiving page at www.justgiving.comLily-Thomas94.