King of Chit crowned at Sidmouth pub
Bank holiday Monday saw Sidmouth’s new King of Chit crowned at The Swan Inn.
The ceremony, which dates back more than 120 years, saw a popular – and aptly named – choice for the role.
John King was revealed as royalty by the ‘Golden Goose’.
He said: “I am delighted to be chosen for this auspicious event. The last time I was chosen for anything, it was to go down the mine!”
His duties start with judging the Black Rod fishing competition in September.
You may also want to watch:
John is pictured with previous kings Mike Bennet, Stuart Hammond, Gary Woods, Adrian Ricketts, who is the pub’s landlord, Bob Williams and Andy Downham.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 3 Sidmouth defeat Boringdon in national competition
- 4 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 5 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 New youth project will help young people's voices to be heard
- 8 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 9 Communities encouraged to apply for rural building funds
- 10 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward