King of Chit crowned at Sidmouth pub
Bank holiday Monday saw Sidmouth’s new King of Chit crowned at The Swan Inn.
The ceremony, which dates back more than 120 years, saw a popular – and aptly named – choice for the role.
John King was revealed as royalty by the ‘Golden Goose’.
He said: “I am delighted to be chosen for this auspicious event. The last time I was chosen for anything, it was to go down the mine!”
His duties start with judging the Black Rod fishing competition in September.
You may also want to watch:
John is pictured with previous kings Mike Bennet, Stuart Hammond, Gary Woods, Adrian Ricketts, who is the pub’s landlord, Bob Williams and Andy Downham.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge