Know your rights
TO coincide with this year s National Consumer Week, Devon County Council Trading Standards Service is launching a new information and consultation initiative.
TO coincide with this year's National Consumer Week, Devon County Council Trading Standards Service is launching a new information and consultation initiative.
Trading Standards Connect (TS Connect) incorporates an electronic mail-out service packed with information for businesses and consumers, including:
* Consumer rights. Practical guidance to on what your rights are and how to protect yourself from criminal and unfair trading
* Scam warnings
You may also want to watch:
* Information about trustworthy businesses and promotional offers
* The latest food and product safety alerts
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 5 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 8 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
There will be also be opportunities for local people to get involved with Trading Standards and comment on which areas of important work.
National Consumer Week began today (Monday September 14) and during this week Trading Standards will be out at markets and shopping centres across Devon, including Seaton, raising awareness of consumer rights and giving residents an opportunity to sign up to the TS Connect e-zine and receive a Trading Standards re-useable cotton shopping bag.
Councillor Roger Croad, Cabinet Member for Environmental and Regulatory Services said: "The theme of this year's National Consumer Week is "Know your Rights" and Devon Trading Standards is supporting the National campaign with the launch of TS Connect.
"This initiative will help Devon residents become empowered consumers who demand what they are legally entitled to, at the same time as being able to support local businesses through this period of economic difficulty."
The new e-zine will help people know what they are entitled to expect, have information on the latest scams, and help people decide when to seek advice and support if things do go wrong.
TS Connect will also support 'Buy with confidence' local businesses , which will be profiled in each issue, as well as providing the local businesses with timely, relevant Trading Standards updates, as well as links to other Devon County Council initiatives aimed at getting the local economy growing again.
Anyone who would like to subscribe to TS Connect can do so for free at www.devon.gov.uk/tsconnect.
During National Consumer Devon Trading Standards will be visiting the following locations to promote TS Connect:
Tuesday September 15 - Barnstaple Pannier Market
Wednesday September 16 - Newton Abbot Market, Exeter and Bicton Colleges Fresher Week events
Thursday September 17 - Exeter Farmers Market
Friday September 18 - Seaton Product Market
Saturday September 19 - Exeter Guildhall Shopping Centre