Last orders for Carinas boss after 20 years in charge
The end of an era is nigh at Carinas as Joe Derrick will hand over the reins at the Sidmouth nightclub after more than 20 years in charge.
The owners are not renewing the license meaning Mr Derrick will have to say goodbye to the Fore Street nightspot he spent a third of his life running.
His former silent partner purchased the freehold several years ago, and they have decided to take over the running of Carinas themselves from next month.
Joe, 64, said: “It did come as a bit of a shock. They’ve a right to do it but obviously I would have preferred to keep going.”
He says he will now be focussing on his other venture, The Grove nightclub in Seaton, which he has owned for 25 years.
You may also want to watch:
The nightclub is also up for sale with the freehold on the market at �595,000, but the owners have not said whether they will be making any changes.
Mandy Patch, manager at Carinas, said Joe has been like a father figure to her over the years at the club. Mandy, who will be kept on under the new management, has worked for Mr Derrick for more than a decade, and said he was a great manger and will miss having him as her boss.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
She said having worked part-time she only became manger to help out and cover maternity leave, but hasn’t looked back since, and although is looking forward to seeing how the new owners will take Carinas forward, is sad to be losing Joe.
Mr Derrick, who lives in Colyton and has been a licensee for 34 years, having previously been in charge of the Smugglers Bar in Seaton, added: “I would like to thank all the customers and the staff for the support over the years.”
Joe will leave Carinas in three weeks time, and Mandy is throwing a party for him on Sunday, September 18, which she hopes will be a fitting send-off after his many years in charge.