Late-night shopping and Christmas lights in Ottery
Ottery is gearing up for its big Christmas light switch-on and an evening of late night shopping in the town
The celebrations start with a procession from the Parish Church at 5.45pm on Friday, November 25, down to the council grounds.
Led by the Town Crier, the Parish Church Choir, the Mayor Glyn Dobson and other town Councillors will be joined by children in fancy Dress with lanterns before the big switch-on at 6pm.
The ceremony will be performed by Andy Wade, Ottery Carnival Chairman, the Ottery Carnival Royalty, Chamber of Commerce chairman Marc Perkins and the Mayor.
And there will be a host of shopkeepers putting on events and dressing up their shops for the late night opening until 8pm.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery Chamber of Commerce are hoping people will come out in strong numbers to help support local businesses
Hardware store Abbotts will be running its popular treasure hunt, where children go around the store finding items to win a goodie bag and certificate.
- 1 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 2 East Devon's first zero-emission hire car now on the road
- 3 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 4 Wars of the Roses and end of the medieval era
- 5 Official accreditation for Sidmouth Vikings
- 6 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 7 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 8 Art society gear up for return of exhibition
- 9 Sidmouth bowlers suffer Madeira defeat
- 10 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
At last year’s event all the Abbott family dressed up as reindeers and over 150 children took part in the free event.
Ottery’s first ever Christmas tree festival, which starts on Wednesday in the Parish Church, will also be open on the night.
Local groups, businesses and schools will decorate the 32 trees in their own styles, which are available to view until the end of the Advent service on Sunday afternoon.
And the council will be looking for people to vote on their favourite design for the new free outdoor-gym project at the Land of Canaan.
Between 5pm and 8pm outside Boots on late-night shopping night you can look at the various options and give your view on what you would like to see built.