Life-saving kit for Sidmouth venue that feeds vulnerable
- Credit: Archant
Trustees at a Sidmouth venue whwere a charity feeds 30 vulnerable people every weekday are now equipped with a life-saving piece of kit – but hope they never have to use it.
Twyford House’s defibrillator was funded in full by Councillor Stuart Hughes with nearly £1,400 from his Investing in Devon budget.
The venue is used by Sidmouth Voluntary Services for its lunch club and other activities, plus the Sid Valley Memory Café and several other groups that support older residents.
Phil Deegan, chairman of trustees at Twyford House, said: “Over the last six months, we have had several people fall, collapse or pass out and we have had to call out the ambulance service three or four times.
“We are constantly aware that the health and safety of our clients is paramount and to that end we have had many of our staff trained in first aid.
You may also want to watch:
“This is very useful but we feel we need to be ready for every situation.
“We are very appreciative of the grant [from Cllr Hughes] and now feel we could deal with a situation where it was needed, but hope we never have to.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
“We supply on average around 30 meals a day to some very vulnerable people and we feel a responsibility to provide as safe a service and environment as possible.”
Cllr Stuart Hughes said: “I had no hesitation in providing some Investing in Devon funding to purchase the defibrillator at Twyford House.
“Sidmouth Voluntary Services provides an excellent service in providing not only lunches but other entertainment for the elderly and there have been several health-related instances.
“Hopefully the defibrillator won’t be used but if it is, it could help save someone’s life.”