Lights out for Sidmouth and Ottery car parks?
MOST OF East Devon District Council s car parks will next week cease to be lit throughout the sleeping hours of the night in a move to save cash and reduce the Council s carbon footprint.
MOST OF East Devon District Council's car parks will next week cease to be lit throughout the 'sleeping hours' of the night in a move to save cash and reduce the Council's carbon footprint.
A few of the district's car parks have never been lit at night - and these will obviously not be affected by the change. In all, 39 car parks will be part of the late evening switch-off.
From 28 October, the lighting that normally stays on throughout the hours of darkness will be switched off with effect from 11 p.m. in the evenings. The lights will come back on at 6.00 a.m. and will remain lit until daylight arrives.
Contractors were this week (w/c 19 October) finishing installation of the time switches. All warning signage previously erected will be uncovered when the time switches are turned on.
You may also want to watch:
The move follows a successful trial in the Land of Canaan and Hind Street car parks in Ottery St Mary, which has been running since November 2008.
This led to a decision to turn off all EDDC car park lighting between 11.00 p.m. and 6.00 a.m. to reduce utility bills and to make a small impression on the carbon emissions caused by electricity usage.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
The switch-over will begin on Wednesday 28 October (after the clocks have gone forward) and will be completed by the weekend.