Lights out for Sidmouth and Ottery car parks?
MOST OF East Devon District Council s car parks will next week cease to be lit throughout the sleeping hours of the night in a move to save cash and reduce the Council s carbon footprint.
MOST OF East Devon District Council's car parks will next week cease to be lit throughout the 'sleeping hours' of the night in a move to save cash and reduce the Council's carbon footprint.
A few of the district's car parks have never been lit at night - and these will obviously not be affected by the change. In all, 39 car parks will be part of the late evening switch-off.
From 28 October, the lighting that normally stays on throughout the hours of darkness will be switched off with effect from 11 p.m. in the evenings. The lights will come back on at 6.00 a.m. and will remain lit until daylight arrives.
Contractors were this week (w/c 19 October) finishing installation of the time switches. All warning signage previously erected will be uncovered when the time switches are turned on.
You may also want to watch:
The move follows a successful trial in the Land of Canaan and Hind Street car parks in Ottery St Mary, which has been running since November 2008.
This led to a decision to turn off all EDDC car park lighting between 11.00 p.m. and 6.00 a.m. to reduce utility bills and to make a small impression on the carbon emissions caused by electricity usage.
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 4 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 5 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 6 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 9 Hot! Hot! Hot! Haytor Heller
- 10 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
The switch-over will begin on Wednesday 28 October (after the clocks have gone forward) and will be completed by the weekend.