Lions on lookout for new members
- Credit: Archant
THE Lions Club of Sidmouth might be part of an international organisation – but its members have their hearts set on striving to serve local communities.
Sidmouth, Sidford, Sidbury, Newton Poppleford, Tipton St John and Branscombe come under the remit of the popular group and its sterling work.
The Club currently has 16 members who meet twice a month at the Anchor Inn in Old Fore Street, Sidmouth.
There are also regular social events for Lions and their partners, including outings, rambles, skittles and pub lunches.
The aim to serve the community and raise funds for charitable causes, but also to have fun and friendship.
In addition to the Great Duck Derby, Sidmouth Lions fundraising activities include hotel and pub draws for Easter eggs, quarterly book sales, organising concerts at Manor Pavilion Theatre and in the Music Room at Sidholme Hotel, and helping Santa tour the area in his magical sleigh at Christmas.
In the Lions year ending June 30 2013, the group was able to provide various services to the community including funding theatre trips and a Christmas party for the elderly, and supporting needy individuals and families and young people.
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 3 The show must go on as theatre group takes to the stage
- 4 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 5 Designated drivers offered free drinks this Christmas
- 6 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 7 Dates for Santa's sleigh tour of Sidmouth, Sidford and Newton Poppleford
- 8 Anniversary gives chance for a look back on three years in the valley
- 9 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 10 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
The club also made donations totalling more than £12,600 to charities and worthwhile causes.
Donations of more than £500 went to DIRECT Diabetes Research, Devon Freewheelers, the 1st Sid Vale Scout Group, Sidmouth Youth Trust, Lullaby Cot Death Charity, and many more.
Residents looking for fun, friendship and to do something worthwhile - or to become a ‘friend of Lions’ and support the club – can contact Chris Rignall on 01395 577450 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.