Lions on lookout for new members
- Credit: Archant
THE Lions Club of Sidmouth might be part of an international organisation – but its members have their hearts set on striving to serve local communities.
Sidmouth, Sidford, Sidbury, Newton Poppleford, Tipton St John and Branscombe come under the remit of the popular group and its sterling work.
The Club currently has 16 members who meet twice a month at the Anchor Inn in Old Fore Street, Sidmouth.
There are also regular social events for Lions and their partners, including outings, rambles, skittles and pub lunches.
The aim to serve the community and raise funds for charitable causes, but also to have fun and friendship.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to the Great Duck Derby, Sidmouth Lions fundraising activities include hotel and pub draws for Easter eggs, quarterly book sales, organising concerts at Manor Pavilion Theatre and in the Music Room at Sidholme Hotel, and helping Santa tour the area in his magical sleigh at Christmas.
In the Lions year ending June 30 2013, the group was able to provide various services to the community including funding theatre trips and a Christmas party for the elderly, and supporting needy individuals and families and young people.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 9 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
The club also made donations totalling more than £12,600 to charities and worthwhile causes.
Donations of more than £500 went to DIRECT Diabetes Research, Devon Freewheelers, the 1st Sid Vale Scout Group, Sidmouth Youth Trust, Lullaby Cot Death Charity, and many more.
Residents looking for fun, friendship and to do something worthwhile - or to become a ‘friend of Lions’ and support the club – can contact Chris Rignall on 01395 577450 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.