Lonely pensioner sets up dating agency to match over-60s
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Bereaved Monica Pearson, of Sidmouth, whose only companion is her faithful golden retriever Megan, hopes to turn Cupid by matching other lonely over-60s.
A bereaved woman whose only company is her faithful golden retriever has turned Cupid by setting up a dating agency to bring other lonely over-60s together.
Monica Pearson went through the ‘terrible experience’ of seeing her partner, Lionel Rowe, die after he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease.
She has now set up a friendship and dating agency, Silver Line, to connect other over-60s without the anonymity of mobile phones or computers.
“I lost my partner about a year-and-a-half ago,” said the 61-year-old.
You may also want to watch:
“He couldn’t walk or swallow and he died of double pneumonia. It was a terrible experience for me.”
“There must be other people in Sidmouth who have had a similar experience.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
“I’m on my own every day – I thought the dating agency would be something to help other people as well.”
Monica cannot work because she suffers from ME, so each day her only company is her dog Megan.
“My experience hasn’t put me off at all,” said the Holmdale resident, who hopes to meet someone herself.
“There’s a gap for dating for older people. I know a lot of older widows who have lost their husband – having company would be nice for them.
“In the newspapers it’s all mobile phones and you don’t know who you are coming across. It’s the same with computers.”
Monica only uses a landline for her agency, which is just getting started.
On her advert, she wrote: “Whatever your age over 60, I am sure there will be a date for you. Only genuine people need apply.”
Once she has built up a list of people looking for love or friendship, she will start matching.
Anyone interested can join Silver Line, free-of-charge, by calling her on 01395 513404 between 5pm and 10pm.