Luncheon club celebrations at Sidmouth hotel
East Devon Luncheon Club celebrates 25th anniversary at Sidmouth’s Victoria Hotel
EAST DEVON LUNCHEON CLUB
THIS year marks the 25th anniversary and during this time more than 15,000 lunches have been provided by the Victoria Hotel to the club.
Following an advertisement in the Sidmouth Herald in 1986, Susanne and Eric Golding organised the first luncheon meeting at the hotel on October 21 of that year.
On Tuesday, October 18, the club celebrates its 25th anniversary with lunch at the Victoria, when guest speaker will be Di Bowerman, news editor of the Sidmouth Herald.
It was Godfrey Talbot, the well-known BBC commentator, who was the club’s first speaker. Others over the years have included Sir Bernard Ingham - best known as Maggie Thatcher’s press secretary - and Lady Solti, widow of Sir Georg Solti the conductor.
Matthew Raistrick, general manager of the Victoria Hotel, congratulated the club on its anniversary, saying: “We are pleased to have been associated with the club and its members in all this time and we look forward to a continued association over the next quarter century.”
- 1 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Welcome boost for road safety and a milestone for club
- 5 Seven rescue animals in Devon needing new forever homes
- 6 Ottery St Mary rings in the festivities
- 7 Perfect storm has created a housing crisis that needs fixing
- 8 Students carry on Christmas tradition by taking tree through town
- 9 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 10 Town keeps alive the generous tradition inspired by Betty
If you would like to join EDLC call (01395) 515002.