Luncheon club celebrations at Sidmouth hotel
East Devon Luncheon Club celebrates 25th anniversary at Sidmouth’s Victoria Hotel
EAST DEVON LUNCHEON CLUB
THIS year marks the 25th anniversary and during this time more than 15,000 lunches have been provided by the Victoria Hotel to the club.
Following an advertisement in the Sidmouth Herald in 1986, Susanne and Eric Golding organised the first luncheon meeting at the hotel on October 21 of that year.
On Tuesday, October 18, the club celebrates its 25th anniversary with lunch at the Victoria, when guest speaker will be Di Bowerman, news editor of the Sidmouth Herald.
You may also want to watch:
It was Godfrey Talbot, the well-known BBC commentator, who was the club’s first speaker. Others over the years have included Sir Bernard Ingham - best known as Maggie Thatcher’s press secretary - and Lady Solti, widow of Sir Georg Solti the conductor.
Matthew Raistrick, general manager of the Victoria Hotel, congratulated the club on its anniversary, saying: “We are pleased to have been associated with the club and its members in all this time and we look forward to a continued association over the next quarter century.”
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
If you would like to join EDLC call (01395) 515002.