Macmillan Cancer Support receives £400 boost from Sidmouth Literary Festival
- Credit: Archant
Author and actress Maureen Lipman was the guest speaker and handed over the cheque to the charity.
Macmillan Cancer Support received a £400 boost after being presented with a cheque from acclaimed author and actress Maureen Lipman.
Maureen was visiting Sidmouth to give a talk at a fundraising lunch at the Sidholme Hotel and handed over the donation on behalf of the Sidmouth Literary Festival committee. Her late husband, the playwright Jack Rosenthal, died of cancer in 2004.
Speaking to the packed dinner hall, Ms Lipman said: “I’m very proud to present £400 to Macmillan. They will use every penny in the right way.”
The event was organised by the festival committee, with proceeds from it going towards the event in June and the cancer support group.
You may also want to watch:
The festival’s next event will be a two-course literary lunch with Sir Francis Chichester at Sidmouth Sailing Club on May 16.
Tickets are £25 and available from Winstone’s books and Sidmouth Library.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 4 Peninsula League season could be over
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 8 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways