Macmillan Cancer Support receives £400 boost from Sidmouth Literary Festival
- Credit: Archant
Author and actress Maureen Lipman was the guest speaker and handed over the cheque to the charity.
Macmillan Cancer Support received a £400 boost after being presented with a cheque from acclaimed author and actress Maureen Lipman.
Maureen was visiting Sidmouth to give a talk at a fundraising lunch at the Sidholme Hotel and handed over the donation on behalf of the Sidmouth Literary Festival committee. Her late husband, the playwright Jack Rosenthal, died of cancer in 2004.
Speaking to the packed dinner hall, Ms Lipman said: “I’m very proud to present £400 to Macmillan. They will use every penny in the right way.”
The event was organised by the festival committee, with proceeds from it going towards the event in June and the cancer support group.
You may also want to watch:
The festival’s next event will be a two-course literary lunch with Sir Francis Chichester at Sidmouth Sailing Club on May 16.
Tickets are £25 and available from Winstone’s books and Sidmouth Library.
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 8 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 9 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 10 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners