Malden’s marvels take a leap of faith for charity
- Credit: Archant
Every cloud has a silver lining - as managers of a Sidmouth care home can testify after skydiving from 15,000 feet for charity.
Mark Allen and Agnieszka Orlowska, from Malden House Residential Care Home, along with colleague Amanda Tanner, overcame their fears to raise more than £500 for The Silver Helpline for Older People.
Staff and residents from the home turned out in force at Dunkeswell Airfield, near Honiton, to cheer the trio down to the ground as each completed their tandem skydive.
Mr Allen said: “It was a great experience and I am delighted that we have raised so much for The Silver Line. “We’re still receiving donations and we remain hopeful that we will reach our target of £1,000.”
The Silver Line is chaired by founder Esther Rantzen CBE, and provides advice, information and friendship to isolated and vulnerable older people across the UK.
It is the 2013/14 nominated charity for Hartford Care Group, which is the parent company of Malden House.
Sean Gavin, CEO of Hartford Care, said: “We are delighted to be able to help by raising money for such a worthy cause.”
- 1 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 2 Broadband firm apologises for late-night roadworks noise
- 3 Ottery's beautiful and historic church - 'little sister' to Exeter Cathedral
- 4 Sidmouth greenkeepers fighting for the perfect bowling surface
- 5 'A rise in parking charges will hit locals hardest'
- 6 What makes Sidmouth the perfect place to live?
- 7 Major road in Sidmouth to close for THREE months
- 8 Mayor's New Year message and ideas sought for Jubilee celebrations
- 9 New pizza restaurant opens on Sidmouth seafront
- 10 'People are now too smart to fall for Tory culture wars...'
He spoke of Esther’s genuine warmth and compassion for the elderly, adding that the charity corresponds perfectly with the company’s core values of care, comfort and companionship.
“Everyone at Hartford Care is very proud of Mark, Aga and Amanda as this is a fantastic achievement,” he said.
To donate to the cause, visit: https://www.justgiving.com/markamandaskydive/.