Man arrested after car crashes into Ottery church
- Credit: Archant
An Ottery church has been left with a huge hole in its wall after a car crash.
Police were called at 12.30am on Sunday to Mill Street, Ottery St Mary following reports of a vehicle colliding with the wall of St Anthony's Catholic Church.
Haydn Banfield, 26, from The Signals, Honiton, has been charged with driving a motor vehicle when above the alcohol limit.
He is due to appear at Exeter Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, November 26.
A 26-year-old man from Ottery St Mary was also arrested but was released with no further action being taken.
You may also want to watch:
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We were called by the police at 00.47 on Sunday after a car had collided with the corner of the church, causing damage and partial collapse of the roof.
"The two occupants of the car had left the area.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 The more we work together the better it will be
- 6 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 9 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
"Two appliances attended and we stabilised and then extricated the vehicle and building control checked the structure of the building.
"The footpath and surrounding area were closed for safety reasons. The incident was left in the hands of the police."