Manor Pavilion thriving after £90k improvements
- Credit: Archant
SIDMOUTH’S thriving Manor Pavilion theatre is dressed to impress following £90,000 of improvements - and can look forward to a bright future as it prepares to welcome a new resident company for the summer season.
The theatre’s support and popularity with visitors from near and far is set to continue following a sweeping refurbishment of the building.
A five-figure investment has seen improvements such as a brand new box Office, upgraded heating and air-conditioning systems, new disabled toilets, new windows and doors and new lighting, as well as improvements back stage.
The male and female dressing rooms are now lit with energy-saving bulbs and audiences get the red carpet treatment and a warm welcome in a freshly decorated foyer.
These all ensure the theatre is even more appealing than ever for casual theatre-goers and true aficionados.
You may also want to watch:
East Devon District Council (EDDC) bosses say the scheme shows its commitment to the venue and the arts in the region.
Graham Whitlock theatre manager said “We now have a much improved box office to cope with the increase ticket sales as well as many more improvements behind the scenes.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 4 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 5 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 6 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 7 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 8 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
- 9 Wednesday's Budget and how it might help those struggling in Devon this winter
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
“Comments from the public have been very positive and with this investment, and a brand new rep season, the future for our patrons and the venue alike has never looked brighter.”
Owned and managed by EDDC, the Manor Pavilion has been a much-loved fixture since the early 1970s, when it was first converted from a dance hall to a theatre.
The 277-seat venue and fully licensed bar is now open all year round, boasting a wide variety of weekly and one-night-only productions from amateur and professional companies alike.
The Herald revealed last week how Paul Taylor Mills Ltd was named as the new resident theatre company who will be presenting the new Repertory Summer Season.