Mary King opens recycling depot near Sidmouth
Olympic medalist Mary King opens new recycling depot near Sidmouth
OLYMPIC three-day event medallist Mary King, who stables her horses at Salcombe Regis, opened East Devon District Council’s state-of-the-art recycling and waste depot at Greendale Business Park, Woodbury, last Thursday.
Mary is pictured with a life-sized model horse, made entirely from scrap metal found around Bicton by sculptor Lindy Martin, a learning support staff member at Bicton College.
The new depot brings under one roof all of the waste and recycling operations run by the council’s contractor SITA.
The Honiton depot has closed and all 100 members of staff have moved to the new complex.
You may also want to watch:
With the new �1.5 million facility up and running, SITA is managing its entire East Devon operation from Greendale Barton Business Park.
Councillor David Cox, EDDC’s portfolio holder, StreetScene, said the council’s phased approach to recycling was pushing its success rate up to some 40 percent with more to come with Exmouth and the western end of the district going live this autumn.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 4 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 Woman flown to hospital after fall
He said: “It’s only right that our new service has a state-of-the-art building as a base where the expanding operation can grow.
“Our aim for East Devon’s weekly waste collection service is to achieve a Gold Medal service. That’s why it’s appropriate for the new depot to be opened by a top horsewoman who knows a gold medal when she sees one!”