Mary King to be appointed as Deputy Lieutenant
- Credit: Archant
Olympic gold medallist Mary King MBE is to join the ranks of the Lord Lieutenants Office, after being named as a Deputy Lieutenant.
The equestrian star, who lives in Salcombe Regis, will be the first person to be appointed to the role by David Fursdon, the current Lord Lieutenant of Devon.
Mrs King will be officially appointed on Thursday (March 24).
Mr Fursdon said: “I’m absolutely delighted to appoint Mary King as my first Deputy Lieutenant in the county.
“Mary, like I, feels proud to live in the wonderful county of Devon, and I am pleased that she will be taking up this important post.
You may also want to watch:
“She has been an inspiration to sportsmen and women, not only in Devon but also throughout the UK, where she is known and respected for her successful equestrian career.
“While she is of course also internationally acclaimed for her skill and talent as a three-day event rider, Mary remains firmly rooted in Devon, and I know that her experience will bring a great deal to the Lieutenancy in the county.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites