Meditiation sessions help you focus
MEDITATION is all about focusing on the moment, says the Beer resident who will be running a series of meditation and awareness meetings in Sidmouth starting this month.
Rowland Moloney, 63, will lead the sessions at Kennaway House, Coburg Road, every Tuesday for six weeks from July 13, 10.30am to 11.45am. The aim is to help people find an inner peace, to help them concentrate less on their anxieties about the future and more on the present.
The retired English teacher said: “Many people live each day unconscious of the present moment, the now. They are too busy to pay it attention, worrying about the future and planning it, and in doing so are missing the moment. Meditation is a respite, a refuge, it puts a space between you and the world so that you stop depending on the world for happiness.
Each session will begin with a short talk, followed by a period of silence and guided meditation.
There will then be an opportunity for discussion and a look at a text, be it a poem or paragraph taken from a book.
You may also want to watch:
Rowland said: “This is not a course, there’s nothing to be studied or learned. It’s a chance for people to experience stillness and a quality of ‘presence’ – of being totally in the moment. It’s sanity when most of us live a form of insanity. You get in touch with yourself and who you really are.”
Rowland, of Townsend, has been interested in meditation for 40 years. “It makes you a calmer, less anxious person, and that equips you to deal with anything you come across in life.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
It is �35 for all six sessions, but people can go along to the first one as a taster before committing to attending again. To register for the first meeting phone Kennaway House on 01395 515551 or for further information call 01297 23607.