Memory café backed by Sidmouth Town Councillor
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth Town Councillor has appealed for people across East Devon to vote for Sid Valley Memory Café – a finalist in the National Lottery Awards.
The café’s Moments in Time project uses reminiscence and nostalgia to make dementia sufferers feel valued for who they are, and for the stories they share.
It is just one of just seven projects aiming to secure the National Lottery’s heritage award – and a £2,000 reward.
Cllr Peter Sullivan, who is also health and wellbeing champion for East Devon District Council, made the plea at EDDC’s cabinet meeting on Tuesday (July 1).
Mr Sullivan said: “I would urge all those here tonight and indeed everyone in East Devon to go online and vote for this very worthy cause.
You may also want to watch:
“Moments in Time is all about helping people who are suffering from a condition that is becoming more and more of an issue in our society as we all live longer.
“Helping to understand and offset the impact of dementia is a really important element of the wider public health agenda both locally and nationally.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
“It’s the only finalist that is a project purely designed to help people and I hope everyone in East Devon will get behind it.”
He added that the memory café is the only ‘local good cause’, but admitted it is up against ‘stiff opposition’.
It will have to beat several heavyweights for the top honour, including the Museum of Liverpool and Portsmouth’s Mary Rose Museum.
To vote for Moments in Time, visit www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/project/moments-time or call 0844 836 9694.