Memory café backed by Sidmouth Town Councillor
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth Town Councillor has appealed for people across East Devon to vote for Sid Valley Memory Café – a finalist in the National Lottery Awards.
The café’s Moments in Time project uses reminiscence and nostalgia to make dementia sufferers feel valued for who they are, and for the stories they share.
It is just one of just seven projects aiming to secure the National Lottery’s heritage award – and a £2,000 reward.
Cllr Peter Sullivan, who is also health and wellbeing champion for East Devon District Council, made the plea at EDDC’s cabinet meeting on Tuesday (July 1).
Mr Sullivan said: “I would urge all those here tonight and indeed everyone in East Devon to go online and vote for this very worthy cause.
“Moments in Time is all about helping people who are suffering from a condition that is becoming more and more of an issue in our society as we all live longer.
“Helping to understand and offset the impact of dementia is a really important element of the wider public health agenda both locally and nationally.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 7 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
“It’s the only finalist that is a project purely designed to help people and I hope everyone in East Devon will get behind it.”
He added that the memory café is the only ‘local good cause’, but admitted it is up against ‘stiff opposition’.
It will have to beat several heavyweights for the top honour, including the Museum of Liverpool and Portsmouth’s Mary Rose Museum.
To vote for Moments in Time, visit www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/project/moments-time or call 0844 836 9694.