Memory café backed by Sidmouth Town Councillor
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth Town Councillor has appealed for people across East Devon to vote for Sid Valley Memory Café – a finalist in the National Lottery Awards.
The café’s Moments in Time project uses reminiscence and nostalgia to make dementia sufferers feel valued for who they are, and for the stories they share.
It is just one of just seven projects aiming to secure the National Lottery’s heritage award – and a £2,000 reward.
Cllr Peter Sullivan, who is also health and wellbeing champion for East Devon District Council, made the plea at EDDC’s cabinet meeting on Tuesday (July 1).
Mr Sullivan said: “I would urge all those here tonight and indeed everyone in East Devon to go online and vote for this very worthy cause.
You may also want to watch:
“Moments in Time is all about helping people who are suffering from a condition that is becoming more and more of an issue in our society as we all live longer.
“Helping to understand and offset the impact of dementia is a really important element of the wider public health agenda both locally and nationally.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 4 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 5 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
“It’s the only finalist that is a project purely designed to help people and I hope everyone in East Devon will get behind it.”
He added that the memory café is the only ‘local good cause’, but admitted it is up against ‘stiff opposition’.
It will have to beat several heavyweights for the top honour, including the Museum of Liverpool and Portsmouth’s Mary Rose Museum.
To vote for Moments in Time, visit www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/project/moments-time or call 0844 836 9694.