Michael and June toast diamond of a marriage
- Credit: Archant
A couple, born in the same bungalow five years apart, are celebrating 60 years of marriage.
June and Michael Stubbs (pictured right) enjoyed their diamond wedding anniversary yesterday (Thursday) with a card of congratulations from the Queen.
The still-smitten couple were wed at Twigworth Church in Gloucestershire on April 2, 1955.
A love of dancing brought them together, but they also had something else in common.
June, 78, said: “We were born in the same bungalow, my husband lived there before me.
You may also want to watch:
“He moved to the next village. I was in my teens when we got together, but we’ve known each others’ families all our lives.”
The couple moved to Sidmouth in 1993, after holidaying in the town during the 1960s.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 3 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 4 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 5 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
June said: “We just liked Sidmouth and have been here over 22 years now. We liked it right from the beginning.”
The couple are keen walkers, often strolling along The Byes. Michael also enjoys gardening.
June added: “I don’t know what they key [to a long and happy marriage] is, we do not argue, we’re just well suited.”
They have two sons, Bryan and David, six grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
The family joined them for an anniversary meal in Tavistock over the weekend.