Michael and June toast diamond of a marriage
- Credit: Archant
A couple, born in the same bungalow five years apart, are celebrating 60 years of marriage.
June and Michael Stubbs (pictured right) enjoyed their diamond wedding anniversary yesterday (Thursday) with a card of congratulations from the Queen.
The still-smitten couple were wed at Twigworth Church in Gloucestershire on April 2, 1955.
A love of dancing brought them together, but they also had something else in common.
June, 78, said: “We were born in the same bungalow, my husband lived there before me.
“He moved to the next village. I was in my teens when we got together, but we’ve known each others’ families all our lives.”
The couple moved to Sidmouth in 1993, after holidaying in the town during the 1960s.
- 1 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 2 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 3 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 4 Council set to approve plans for a new quarry in Ottery St Mary
- 5 Ottery's big switch on lights up the town
- 6 Sidmouth's band announces cancelled concerts
- 7 New look for interior of Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory
- 8 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 9 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 10 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
June said: “We just liked Sidmouth and have been here over 22 years now. We liked it right from the beginning.”
The couple are keen walkers, often strolling along The Byes. Michael also enjoys gardening.
June added: “I don’t know what they key [to a long and happy marriage] is, we do not argue, we’re just well suited.”
They have two sons, Bryan and David, six grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
The family joined them for an anniversary meal in Tavistock over the weekend.