Beloved children’s author Michael Morpurgo spat at in Sidmouth for wearing ‘B******s to Brexit’ badge
- Credit: Archant
Children’s author Michael Morpurgo has said he was spat at during Sidmouth Folk Festival for wearing a ‘B******s to Brexit’ badge.
The writer, who published War Horse in 1982, told The Guardian: "I've been spat at... I went to Sidmouth folk festival - quite a peaceable part of the world, you would have thought."
He said trouble began when he bought one of the 'little blue badges with stars around it'.
Michael said: "It was horrible. I was very upset. [The man] looked at me with an unbelievable dislike.
"I can't think of a time in my life when that would have happened. We're almost coming to a civil war situation where there's so much hate."
You may also want to watch:
During an interview, with the national paper, he spoke about everything from the Grenfell Tower fire and Windrush, to the US-Mexico border and Kashmir as well his first-hand experience in Gaza and the Calais refugee camp.
He said we have turned into a 'not-caring society'.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead