Mobile homes must go from Sismouth Bowd land
THE owner of land near Sidmouth s The Bowd has been given until Tuesday to remove mobile homes from the site- by the authority which has earmarked it as a possible home for gypsies and travellers.
THE owner of land near Sidmouth's The Bowd has been given until Tuesday to remove mobile homes from the site- by the authority which has earmarked it as a possible home for gypsies and travellers
East Devon District Council (EDDC) has identified the land, off the A3052, as a possible pitch but has told its owner Jimmy Small he must remove current dwellings from the area in the next week as it is "not currently authorised for gypsies and travellers".
The council has also told Mr Small that a bid by him to increase the number of residential caravan he has at land near Coombe Goyle, Tipton St John is "unlikely" to gain planning permission.
However, in a letter to Mr Small, a senior EDDC planning officer suggests he can accommodate one more "caravan" at the Tipton site bringing the total there to four.
You may also want to watch:
The Herald reported earlier this year how The Bowd land, on the "gateway to Sidmouth", was the only one of four sights in East Devon earmarked for gypsies and travellers by EDDC which it had left to pursue after landowners in Tipton, Honiton and Exmouth rejected its advances.
When quizzed over the current status of the bid, an EDDC spokesman said: "The council is currently searching for possible sites.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses