More nudists for beach near Sidmouth?
- Credit: Archant
More naked beachgoers could come to Weston Mouth, near Sidmouth, if calls to move a recognised nudist site along Budleigh Salterton’s bare shoreline are not answered.
Nudists who use the designated site at Budleigh beach (pictured, right) have asked for it to be relocated due to the disappearance of shingle there.
But town councillors in the resort said beachgoers shedding clothes did not fit its ‘oldy-worldy’ image - and that naked bathers get ‘too close for comfort’ to fully-clothed families.
Speaking at a recent meeting, Budleigh mayor Courtney Richards said: “We never had a naturist beach at Budleigh Salterton.
“It was not a nudist beach, it was a beach where people could go swimming with no clothes on, come out and cover themselves up. “We did not have a nudist beach and I would personally be very happy for us not to have one again.
You may also want to watch:
“We are a slightly quaint, oldy-worldy seaside resort. I do not wish to see them encroach any further.
“If the beach isn’t there, it isn’t there.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 8 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 9 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
“My view is they’ll have to go somewhere else.”
The nearest alternative to place to enjoy the beach in the buff is along the South West Coast Path at Weston Mouth, which is listed online among ‘clothes-free beaches’ at walkingclub.org.
It informs explorers of the steep route down and says: “You pay for your day’s relaxation and nuddying [sic] with some stiff exercise.”