MP helps out knitting event for charity
East Devon’s MP got out his knitting needles to help a coffee morning make more than �300 for a dementia chairty.
Hugo Swire read about fundraiser Jo Earlam’s Say Darn to Dementia campaign and got in touch to see if he could lend a hand.
But Jo admits he wasn’t exactly a natural at scarf-making, when he tried his hand at the knitting-themed event in Tipton on Saturday.
She said: “I only took up knitting when I started the fundraising drive, so he was asking me for advice but I wasn’t much help.”
Jo, who is also attempting to run 50 marathons before she is 50, said she was glad for the MP’s help in raising awareness for BRACE, the South West dementia charity.
More than 50 people turned up to the Community Hall in the village with cakes and knitted items, including local carers and residents.
Mr Swire said: “There can hardly be a family in this county who have not been affected by Alzheimer’s.
- 1 A375 roadworks to restart in September
- 2 'Leave our banners alone!'
- 3 Urgent appeal for collectors as Sidmouth Airshow approaches
- 4 Otterhayes home rated 'good' after improving 'in leaps and bounds'
- 5 Jeeves and Wooster play was 'perfect nonsense'
- 6 National Trust Supporters' Group outing
- 7 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
- 8 Decision on Straitgate's appeal funding deferred
- 9 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 10 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
“I am hugely supportive of any efforts made to research this hideous condition which blights so many people’s lives.”
Jo said she was close to her target of �1,500 after the weekend, but said she will continue to try and raise money for Alzheimer’s research.