MP to discuss Sidmouth’s crumbling cliffs
EAST Devon MP Hugo Swire and Councillor Stuart Hughes are to meet to discuss the plight of crumbling Pennington Point.
“He is as concerned as I am about it,” said Cllr Hughes, Devon County Council’s lead member for flooding, yesterday (Thursday).
East Devon District Council last month pledged that surveys will be carried to look at the possibility of extending the rock armouring in front of Alma Bridge.
A short-term effort to shore up the deteriorating stretch of coastline using hundreds of tonnes of shingle from the River Sid was dashed when the material was washed away by stormy seas.
Councillor Hughes says emergency armouring is now crucial to protecting Sidmouth from tidal flooding.
You may also want to watch:
“To place this material [which was dredged from the river] on its own under the cliffs was never going to work,” he added.
“A combination of rock revetment and then placing the shingle behind the revetment is what is required.”
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight