MURDER INVESTIGATION: Deceased was ‘visiting area’
- Credit: Archant
UPDATE: Police reassure public: “We believe this is an isolated incident.”
POLICE investigating the death of a man in a Sidmouth pub last night understand he was visiting the area.
Detectives have launched a murder investigation after officers were called to the Black Horse shortly after 10pm.
They had received reports of an assault.
A 71-year-old man was found at the scene. Despite efforts of officers and paramedics, the man was pronounced dead a short time later.
You may also want to watch:
A force spokesman said it is understood the man was visiting the area and next of kin are currently being sought.
A police spokesman said: “We believe this is an isolated incident. We understand news of this incident will be troubling for many in the Sidmouth area and to reassure local people there will be some extra officers on patrol in the town.”
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon
Police have appealed for anyone with any information about the incident - particularly if they were in the Black Horse from late afternoon into the early evening. Contact 101, quoting reference KS/13/554.
• Police said a 41-year-old local man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and is in police custody in Exeter.