MURDER INVESTIGATION: Deceased was ‘visiting area’
- Credit: Archant
UPDATE: Police reassure public: “We believe this is an isolated incident.”
POLICE investigating the death of a man in a Sidmouth pub last night understand he was visiting the area.
Detectives have launched a murder investigation after officers were called to the Black Horse shortly after 10pm.
They had received reports of an assault.
A 71-year-old man was found at the scene. Despite efforts of officers and paramedics, the man was pronounced dead a short time later.
A force spokesman said it is understood the man was visiting the area and next of kin are currently being sought.
A police spokesman said: “We believe this is an isolated incident. We understand news of this incident will be troubling for many in the Sidmouth area and to reassure local people there will be some extra officers on patrol in the town.”
- 1 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 2 Opinion: 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 3 South West Water on the look-out for new graduate trainees
- 4 SRC joins battle of Woodbury Common, Oh My Obelisk and the Sir Walter Round
- 5 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 6 Sidmouth in Bloom hope to sow the seeds for national glory
- 7 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 8 'We'll have to put up with roadworks for a few weeks'
- 9 Girlguiding achievements celebrated at church service
- 10 Lethal Wasps produce five-star display
Police have appealed for anyone with any information about the incident - particularly if they were in the Black Horse from late afternoon into the early evening. Contact 101, quoting reference KS/13/554.
• Police said a 41-year-old local man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and is in police custody in Exeter.