Museum room named in honour of curator Bob
- Credit: Archant
Around 40 people gathered in Sidmouth Museum last Friday to mark the re-naming of an upstairs room.
The Land and Man Room contains geology and archaeology items, as well as wall displays about Sidmouth’s prehistory.
It was re-named The Dr Bob Symes OBE Room after the present curator, who has specific expertise in geology.
Museum chairman Nigel Hyman described Bob as very much a polymath with many other interests, in addition to geology, which include the arts and sciences.
He said these have contributed to his vision of the museum. “Those who were connected, both now and in the past, with the museum have benefitted from his encouragement and advice,” said Nigel.
“We all felt inclusive and part of a team.”
Bob unveiled the plaque, made appropriately from Cornish slate. He described his work since 2001, and his pleasure at seeing the gradual increase in visitor numbers and the place of the museum as one of the town’s main visitor attractions. Although he has had other interests in the town, the museum has always been very special to him - he described it as his ‘shed’.
- 1 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 2 Time to start preparing for potentially harsh winter
- 3 Commonwealth Games work gives Sidmouth student 'amazing experience' of live TV
- 4 Heatwave may have caused latest Sidmouth cliff falls
- 5 Residents plagued by aggressive rogue traders
- 6 Missing woman may be in Sidmouth
- 7 Post-lockdown images become public art on Sidmouth billboard
- 8 Decision on Straitgate's appeal funding deferred
- 9 Could Devon councils be set for unitary shake up?
- 10 Closure confirmed for Sidmouth retirement home
Bob has now made the decision to become emeritus curator. Those attending felt his continued advice would always be highly valued.