Museum room named in honour of curator Bob
- Credit: Archant
Around 40 people gathered in Sidmouth Museum last Friday to mark the re-naming of an upstairs room.
The Land and Man Room contains geology and archaeology items, as well as wall displays about Sidmouth’s prehistory.
It was re-named The Dr Bob Symes OBE Room after the present curator, who has specific expertise in geology.
Museum chairman Nigel Hyman described Bob as very much a polymath with many other interests, in addition to geology, which include the arts and sciences.
He said these have contributed to his vision of the museum. “Those who were connected, both now and in the past, with the museum have benefitted from his encouragement and advice,” said Nigel.
You may also want to watch:
“We all felt inclusive and part of a team.”
Bob unveiled the plaque, made appropriately from Cornish slate. He described his work since 2001, and his pleasure at seeing the gradual increase in visitor numbers and the place of the museum as one of the town’s main visitor attractions. Although he has had other interests in the town, the museum has always been very special to him - he described it as his ‘shed’.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Bob has now made the decision to become emeritus curator. Those attending felt his continued advice would always be highly valued.