Former Steeleye Span band member takes to the stage as FolkWeek comes to a close
- Credit: Archant
Former Steeleye Span fiddle player Peter Knight has a musical secret.
He was recording in the studio in the 1970s with the folk rock legends when producer Mike Batt asked a favour.
He was short of some Wombles for a Top of the Pops appearance by the children’s TV spin off band. Peter became Great Uncle Bulgaria.
Tonight (Friday) he sends festival goers on their way with a rousing final concert with his band Gigspanner in collaboration with Hannah Martin and Phillip Henry, two young BBC 2 award-winning musicians.
“It’s absolutely lovely to be finishing the festival off. We want people to feel they’ve heard good music and been entertained in different ways,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“For me it’s important to leave a lot of space to reflect the moment without losing the essence of what you’re playing.”
The concert is at the Ham Marquee starting at 7.30pm.
- 1 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 2 Tragedy strikes the racing world
- 3 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 4 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 5 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 6 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 7 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 8 Family triumph in Sidmouth golf team stableford
- 9 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 10 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy