Musician hits the right notes with orchestral wedding
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth musician who plays with orchestras around the world hit the right note as she came back to Devon to get married to a professional singer.
And Rachel and Steven Harrold brought a host of their musical colleagues to the wedding for what the father-of the bride called ‘a classical concert you could have put on anywhere in the world’.
The couple met three years ago while both performing, Rachel, 33, playing the oboe in an orchestra while Steven, 43, sang.
The bride is the youngest of four children to parents Marjorie and Graham White, and grew up in Newton Poppleford.
After studying at St Margaret’s School in Exeter and Chethams School of Music, Rachel went to the Royal Academy of Music in London.
You may also want to watch:
Since leaving she has been freelancing internationally with some of the world’s most famous orchestras, including the BBC Symphony, the English National Opera (ENO) and Northern Sinfonia.
Steven, originally from Middlesex, went to St John’s College, Cambridge, before becoming a professional tenor and travelling the world with the Hilliard Ensemble.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 10 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
His fellow singers were on hand at St Clements Church in Powderham on Saturday for the big day, along with the organist from the Tower of London Chapel, members of the ENO and a London String Quartet, all conducted by Andrew Carwood, the director of music at Westminster Abbey, and a jazz band from Ronnie Scott’s in London played at the reception in Powderham Castle.
Rachel’s father Graham said the happy couple are on honeymoon in the Maldives before making their home in Kingston-on-Thames.