Mystery benefactor gifts £1000 to cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A CHARITY that helps people affected by cancer has expressed its ‘immense’ gratitude to a complete stranger who has gifted it £1,000.
The generous handout to Exeter-based FORCE is the latest act of kindness from a mystery benefactor in Sidmouth known only as The Quiet Philanthropist.
A good cause has benefited from the cash sum every month as the pensioner, who wants to remain completely anonymous, does not want to see the money end up in the hands of the tax man.
The Herald has been handing over the cash to surprised charities that benefit Sidmouth residents on behalf of the widow or widower since July last year.
The benefactor, whose life has been affected by cancer, said: “There’s a lot of people who need support. I hope this will be a little help for them [FORCE].”
You may also want to watch:
Mervyn Hayes, Friends of FORCE co-ordinator, said: “A donation of this size always makes a huge difference. Every penny is spent helping local people.”
The cause is committed to funding research, purchasing equipment for the oncology department at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital and supporting patients and their families.
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 5 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Sidmouth's Repo Man TV star Sean doubles as Marvel film superhero
- 8 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 9 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 10 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
“We are immensely grateful to this benefactor,” added Mr Hayes.
“It’s such a huge contribution towards our running costs.”
The philanthropist, who believes in ‘doing good by stealth’, wants to see their money go to local causes and not the Treasury.