Mystery pensioner invites lonely strangers to Christmas lunch
- Credit: Archant
A kind-hearted pensioner from West Hill is hoping to spread some festive cheer by treating lonely people to Christmas lunch.
The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, is making the gesture to give people who will be on their own the chance to enjoy a traditional turkey dinner in the company of others.
She has booked the Lamb and Flag pub in Ottery for the feast.
Her offer is open to anyone in the parish, regardless of age, who would be otherwise unable to enjoy a festive meal.
The woman told the Herald that she lives alone and knew that Christmas could be a very lonely time.
She said there was ‘no reason whatsoever’ behind her gesture other than the desire to do something nice for people.
She added: “I have been seeing programmes on television about food banks and people by themselves being in trouble.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 7 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
“Every time my post comes there is a request for money, and I thought rather than send the money abroad, why not help local people?”
The woman, who is in her 80s, contacted Ottery’s mayor, Glyn Dobson, this week to reveal her intention.
Councillor Dobson said: “A very generous lady contacted me and asked for help to organise a lunch for people who will be on their own or unable to enjoy a Christmas meal.”
He said he had already received a lot of interest but was looking for more people to fill the last seats.
The festive feast will take place at the Lamb and Flag on Tuesday, December 23.
If you would like to attend, or if you know someone who would like to, contact Cllr Dobson at the town council offices on 01404 812252 by Wednesday, December 17.