Napoli inquiry cost DCC nearly £22,000
PUBLISHED: 16:15 23 January 2009 | UPDATED: 12:19 17 June 2010
THE OFFICIAL inquiry in to the grounding of MSC Napoli cost Devon County Council nearly £22,000, it was revealed on Tuesday. DCC vowed to carry out an inquiry if the government did not mount a national one after the disaster which made a small rural villa
THE OFFICIAL inquiry in to the grounding of MSC Napoli cost Devon County Council nearly £22,000, it was revealed on Tuesday.
DCC vowed to carry out an inquiry if the government did not mount a national one after the disaster which made a small rural village the hub of an international media frenzy.
The chairman, Professor Ian Mercer, was appointed in March 2007 and the committee inquiry, which included county councillors, David Cox and Richard Westlake and East Devon District Councillor Chris Gibbings, first met in July.
The committee spent the summer examining submissions and by the end of October 65 had been received.
In October the inquiry first met publicly in Branscombe Village Hall where residents had the opportunity to share their thoughts on the aftermath of the grounding and the effect it had on them.
Finally a week long public hearing was held in November where several people gave their opinions including chairman of Sidmouth Town Council, Tom Cox and East Devon MP Hugo Swire.
The findings of the inquiry were published on Tuesday.
A DCC spokesman said the cost of the inquiry was inconsequential as important lessons had been learned.
He said: "This is money well spent if the recommendations that come out of the inquiry prepare agencies to respond better in future, and in so doing minimise future costs.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.