National appeal to identify torso found near Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
A national request for help to identify a torso found washed up near Sidmouth has been issued to forces across the country. The Herald previously reported the discovery of a man’s body off the coast near Salcombe Mouth on October 15.
Devon and Cornwall Police has now issued a national request to help with the identification of the torso.
A police spokeswoman said: “Several forces have provided details of missing persons which are in the process of being reviewed.
“Police are awaiting forensic material which may further assist in the identification of the person.”
In a previous statement, the force said it was clear the body had been in the water for a considerable amount of time. At the time Sidmouth Lifeboat aided police with the collection of the body before it was sent for a forensic post-mortem.
You may also want to watch:
Police said they were not currently treating the death as suspicious.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98