Charity welcomes new caretaker and issues urgent plea for volunteers
- Credit: Archant
Kennaway House has a new Caretaker who used to work for Exeter School.
Tony served for twenty-five years as Estates Manager at the independent school, where he was responsible for the buildings and grounds on a 23-acre site. After retiring from the school, Tony wanted to go on working and thought Kennaway House was “fabulous”.
“I love the fact that we’re preserving this beautiful house and serving the community who can all use it,” he said. “It’s a real privilege to work here.”
Tony is originally from Torquay and trained as a plumber and heating engineer. His daughter Daniele Coombe is a successful dancer and actor who has appeared in West End musicals like Sunset Boulevard, Oliver and My Fair Lady.
“Tony joins our Manager, Nikki Dawkins, and Administrative Assistant, Catrina Marsh, to make a strong team,“ said Trustee Michael James. “But Kennaway has grown into a big venture now and we could not survive without our band of volunteers who help to run the house as well.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s wonderful that Kennaway is so popular and so many people want to use it for such a range of things, from Pete Allen’s Jazz on Sunday, to Buddhist meditation, to weddings, parties and Meet the Author events. But we can only meet all these demands if we recruit more volunteers – and the need is very urgent.”
Nikki explained: “Some do a regular weekly slot, such as a morning helping in the office or on reception, others help more flexibly, say on the bar for events like jazz and weddings. We can even use DIY and decorating skills.”
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 3 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Volunteer Ann Oxley works in the office half a day a week and is a member of the bar staff covering events like jazz and writers’ evenings and bookings like weddings and parties.
She said: “Not only do you work in a beautiful, historic house, but you meet really interesting people and it’s a great way to spend any spare time you have to give.”
Nikki added: “We provide training and insurance. We really do need you and it’s fun. Come and join our winning team!”
To find out more about volunteering at Kennaway House - drop in any weekday between 9.30am and 1.30pm, phone 01395 515551 or email email@example.com