New chairman for Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce
Thriving Chamber of Commerce elects new chairman
NEW chairman of Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce is Steven Kendall-Torry, owner of Pure Indulgence gift shop.
He took over from Richard Eley at the Chamber’s annual meeting, held at Kennaway House on Tuesday.
Mr Eley has been chairman since 2009.
He said: “I’d like to thank everyone for all they have done to assist me through my time as chairman. The Chamber is in good health, finances are thriving and membership is very good, with good attendance at breakfast meetings.”
He spoke of the successful royal wedding street party organised by members, its late night shopping event and having “some small influence on what is done by district and county council”.
Mr Eley thanked retiring treasurer Graham Sindle, who nominated Matthew Portman in his place. Mr Portman was duly elected.
- 1 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
- 2 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
- 3 South West warning for drought issued
- 4 A flying visit to a bird reserve and a view on Sidmouth's charity shops - Toto's latest woofings...
- 5 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 6 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 7 Ottery couple celebrate platinum wedding anniversary
- 8 Heatwave may have caused latest Sidmouth cliff falls
- 9 Closure confirmed for Sidmouth retirement home
- 10 Time to start preparing for potentially harsh winter
Sylvia Brownlee continues as secretary and was thanked for her “incredible support”.
Pat Parrish was thanked for organising breakfast meetings; the next, on Wednesday, March 14, will be held at the new conference room at the Kingswood Hotel.
He also thanked retiring town clerk, Trina Jarrett, for 23 years of service, adding: “it is most important to thank our councillors.
“I am hugely appreciative of what they do for our community,” he said. “They do a thankless task…they deserve recognition.”
Mr Kendall-Torry, whose family ran Brownlands Hotel and a jewellers in the town, said: “Richard has done an amazing job. He has really put new life into the Chamber, which I will endeavour to carry on.”